Friday, July 24, 2009

Summer Fun

It really was a day like any other, so I'm not really sure what made it such a great day for me. I should have been dead-tired, being up with Judah (and due to pregnancy) half the night. For some reason, I wasn't tired at all. I truly believe God gave me the energy I needed to have a really great day with my son.

The day started like any other, being busy around the house and getting stuff done. Then, I decided to take Judah outside to play in the kiddie pool in the backyard. We hadn't done that in a long time, so he was thrilled with it. We dragged the small slide over to the pool so he could slide into the water. I sat poolside with my feet in the water and enjoyed the beautiful morning sunshine.




(This is Judah trying on his friend Sophia's sunglasses. It was cute.)


After Judah was done with the pool, we both remained barefoot and played in the yard. I can't remember the last time I played in the grass like that. Judah wanted to swing, so I pushed him on the swings for a long time. Then, Judah wanted to play with the ball, so we kicked the ball back and forth for the longest time! It was really fun!

Naptime, for a change, was easy. After lunch, I put Judah in bed and he was out pretty quickly and slept really well. I was able to get a few things done and lay down myself for a short time.





(This is a picture of Judah's bruise on his head. He fell into a doorjamb in the hallway running from one room to the other.)

After naps and a quick afternoon snack, Judah and I played ball in the house. We kicked the ball in the living room (he can kick really really hard, too!). Then, we played catch. Judah is getting really really good at catching a ball! I'm impressed! After playing catch, it was time for baseball. Judah likes to pitch, so I batted first. Then we switched it around and he batted for awhile. Not too far into our baseball game, Jake got home. (When Jake gets home, Mama isn't so "cool" anymore...so Judah was off to play ball with Dad for awhile, which is fine.)

The whole day was just full of play. It was more than what I've mentioned here. We didn't just play ball, although looking back we did that a LOT. But, Judah and I took time to play with blocks and cars and the dogs outside. We took time to read a book and toss his Froggie around a little bit. We even found some energy (only from God) to rough-house a little bit. I was able to flip him around just a little, until my belly said, "No more!"

The day ended gracefully, as only a great day like that could. Judah stayed in a wonderful mood and went down for bed quite easily. As I write all of this, the day seems simple enough, but it's a day that I will remember -- for me and Judah. It meant a lot to me to have a full day of playing with Judah and really having FUN together. It's like it was a day by which summer is defined. Look up "summer" in a dictionary and that day will be recorded there. All that was missing was a glass of lemonade and some slices of watermelon at the end of the day. But, we'll save that for another day.

(These are pictures of Judah with a box turtle that we found. He thought it was pretty cool. It was a very active turtle, too. Usually they just stay in their shells, but this one stuck it's neck out and walked around a lot. He enjoyed the turtle a lot. We set it free.)

2 comments:

The Bellands said...

Yay, Dana! Thanks for sharing this. It is encouraging not just for you to have a day like this, but for us to hear about it too, because like you said - it must have been God's gift to you. Go God! =) What a great little guy you've got there...

Grandpa Deeter said...

Dana, What a beautiful tribute to an ordinary day that turned out to be special and memorable. You are perceptive to see what a gift an ordinary day can be.